5 Tips and Tricks for Anyone with Braces
If you have ever had braces, then you know that it takes a little time to adjust to the challenges that life with braces can bring. If you’ve never had braces, and are thinking of getting them for the first time, don’t let the horror stories scare you away. Orthodontists in Sturbridge say that these easy tips and tricks can help you to overcome obstacles and enjoy a great smile in the process.
- If your bracket or band is loose- You can leave a loose bracket or band in place if it remains attached to the wire. You can secure it with a piece of orthodontic wax if it becomes uncomfortable or irritating. If the bracket or band has come off completely, place it in a small sandwich bag or wrap it in tissue for safe keeping.
- If the wire has come out- You may be able to use a pair of small tweezers to get the wire back into place, or you can clip the end with nail clippers to prevent the wire from poking your cheeks and gums. The end of the wire could also be covered with orthodontic was for your comfort.
- If the end of the wire is poking you- use the end of a pencil eraser or the back of a spoon to push the sharp tip down.
- If your teeth and gums feel sore- A warm saltwater rinse helps to soothe the gum tissues and over-the-counter pain relievers are recommended as needed.
- If you are hungry- Go for softer textured foods and stay away from processed sugars. Foods that are sticky or hard, even carrot sticks and sugar-free gum, can damage your braces. Foods and drinks with high sugar contents are more likely to cause cavities.
Braces are an excellent choice for anyone who wants to improve the long-term health of their smile, but the process isn’t without some challenges. To give yourself the best opportunity for success, call to schedule an appointment with a Sturbridge orthodontist today.