The Invisalign brand of orthodontic aligners have become as common a household name as Kleenex and Netflix. But aside from the name and the general concept, what do you really know about this modern alternative to traditional braces? One popular Sturbridge orthodontist has created this 10-point factsheet to provide more insight into the world of Invisalign.
- The customized Invisalign aligners are removable but must be worn for at least 22 hours each day in order to be effective.
- You must remember to brush and floss your teeth before putting your aligners in after a meal or snack.
- Talk to your orthodontist about setting realistic expectations for the final result. You can view virtual images of how your smile will look prior to starting Invisalign. Just ask your orthodontist!
- Moving your teeth with Invisalign aligners is not typically painful or uncomfortable as compared to conventional braces.
- Invisalign cannot resolve every orthodontic condition. The orthodontist can evaluate your bite and jaw function to determine if you are a good candidate for this procedure.
- Watch out for staining! Foods and beverages with deep pigments, such as teas, coffees, tomato-based foods, and red wines, can stain your teeth as well as your clear aligners.
- Clean your aligners properly. You should avoid using toothpaste to clean your aligners and opt for less abrasive cleansers such as plain water or an orthodontist-approved cleaning product. Incorrect cleaning could result in damage to your aligners.
- Invisalign could help to break your bad snacking habits. Is that cookie really worth the extra work of removing your aligners, brushing, and putting them back in? Many Invisalign users tend to snack less and eat healthier.
- The aligners are practically invisible! It isn’t a gimmick. Many adults love the idea of straightening their teeth in such a discreet manner.
- Choose a qualified and experienced Sturbridge orthodontist for a healthy and attractive outcome.
For more answers to your Invisalign questions, call to schedule a consultation today.